Sunday, May 06, 2007

Humble Recreation



The Amish are well known to be very industrious. They are a group people who do not shy away from long hard days of toil. Amish do not take advantage of modern labor saving devices. Electricity and motor driven vehicles have no place on their farms. Much of their technology is much the same as you would find in the early to mid 1800’s as is their dress.



Saturday I encountered a group of Amish out for a day of fishing. They arrived at the lake in a hired van. The group could not have been more polite as they stood in line at the bait & tackle shop awaiting their turn to purchase a fishing license. Outside the bait shop I overheard the gentleman in this photograph inquiring as to a good place to fish. The fishermen being questioned ask “what are you fishing for” to which the Amish responded “any fish which is good to eat”.



Although their frugal lifestyle does not appeal to me, I have a great deal of respect for this group of humble people. They have been successful at divorcing themselves from the rat-race of modern life with a lifestyle that clearly defines the difference between wants and needs. They have not been caught up in our materialistic society where temporary happiness comes with the next purchase and sadness arrives with the next credit card bill.



It was refreshing for me as well to observe this group of Amish out enjoying a day of rest & relaxation.

2 comments:

lv2scpbk said...

I have to agree with you. I think it's admirable that they can live the way they do. And, to forgive the way they do. When they had that shooting at their school, they went to the funeral of the shooter. I'm not so sure I could ever do that. Sometimes I wish life was more simpler.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Looks like he's having a good time.