Monday, September 17, 2007

Silent


The Artillery pieces stand silent as they have for nearly one and a half centuries; a memorial to the men who fought and died here, a memorial to the day when the fate of our country hinged upon the actions of the men who met upon this field of battle.

As I walked the battlefield in the early morning my thoughts were interrupted only by the occasional biker or jogger. In the calm of the morning it was difficult to contemplate what the battle on this very ground must have been like. I tried to envision the movement of the troops, the sounds of the cannon and musketry, the yells and screams of the men. I tried to imagine the dash and daring along with the terror, the pain, and immense carnage but to little avail.

Antietam lies Peaceful and Calm

7 comments:

Lucy said...

Well, Salty, you are right - I've never shot a muzzleloader while homeschooling BUT I did go out shooting with one of my brothers and his friends a few years ago and "shot" a pistol...HA! ;-)

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Very nice image and commentary.

Memories Catcher said...

Great shot and commentary.I like the composition and colors.

Shionge said...

A walk down memory lane that hurts and hopefully never to be repeated Salty.

Tom said...

These last two post show me what a man you ar. By your pictures of the wildlife one sees a man with a love of nature, by these two one sees a man of compassion and thought. Two qualities to be proud of. Excellent pictures and words.

Anonymous said...

Salty, it is hard to describe your feelings when visiting one of these battlefields. I love the way you have put it into words and picture.

photowannabe said...

You paint wonderful visual images with your words and the same with your camera.
Thank you for the walk through History.