Thursday, October 04, 2007

Poke Berries


Pretty as Poison

14 comments:

Catherine said...

Great shot of the poke berries..when we were building our house in 1988 poke berries grew all up and down our road after we built it...My son, who was 4 at the time, stained many a shirt on poke berries, and it was hard to get his hands clean also, he ate some one time, and was very sick, they are poisonous...thank goodness he didn't eat enough to really do him some harm, I was ever so glad after a few years they didn't grow along side our drive anymore!! But they are beautiful, the stems and the berries.
Great photo! Didn't mean to go on and on..:)Your country capture just brought back alot of memories!!
Thanks!
Cat

Mike said...

Hi Salty,

I have been catching up on everything lately is seems. I have enjoyed your elk pictures. it looks like a great place to go.

We have these around here too. They are a real pain.

Take care.

Mike

Shionge said...

Very very nice and unusal to see this Salty....er...are they really poisonous?

photowannabe said...

I have never seen these before. Its scary that they are so prevelent and poisonous.
I like the composition and focus of this shot.

Old Wom Tigley said...

One man's meat is another mans poison.
Nice close up Salty

lv2scpbk said...

I was about to comment that I thought they were poison and you say it under your photo. Nice shot. I like how you blurred the background.

Kerri said...

Nice Shot Salty!
We have these growing everywhere around here in Virginia. I never knew what they were called - and I never knew that they were poisonsous - I just thought they were some type of weed. I also read that they are not toxic to birds.

Gabriella said...

So you don't recommend those being used in a pie right?!

Gretchen said...

I like the way you have just this one bunch in focus. :)

Scarlet said...

Oh, they look delicious! ;)

Kekiinani said...

Nice shot.. Love the DOF.. :) They are nice looking berries to bad they are poisonous. WOW... Never heard nor seen them before. :) :)

Andrea said...

Makes a pretty picture but it is an awful sight when the birds eat these berries. You know where the birds have been with their purple droppings.

bluemountainmama said...

so that's what those are! they grow along side of the road here, too, and i didn't know the name of them. good thing my son knows better than to eat any berry he's not familiar with....
sometimes i wonder why they were created to look edible when they are quite the opposite!

i like your photography... we used to live just a few miles south of the PA line in western MD and its beautiful countryside.... i also like all your music choices in your profile... bluegrass rocks! :)

aprilrobinette said...

thank you so much for posting this my daughter just ate some of those berriies and finding this helped me know what they were and it made the calls to the dr and poison control alot easier because i already knew what to tell them she had eaten so again thank you.