Sunday, May 18, 2008

Too Close for Comfort; Belted Kingfisher



Seeing that another fisherman (woman) was present, I laid down my rod and began to seriously pursue this female Belted Kingfisher. She would sit on a branch and watch me intently as I slowly motored her way. Her tolerance level was just a little too far for my 400mm lens but after a number of tries she allowed me to ease within reasonable range.

Soon she tired of the game and dropped off her branch just as the shutter fell for the umpteenth time giving me this lovely unplanned “action” capture.

7 comments:

Shelley said...

Very nice - I always love the "bird action" photos!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: What a wonderful picture of the Kingfisher.

The weather was rugged again this weekend (wind and rain). I'm so tired of the bad weather this May.

Rose said...

Wonerful capture...it sure has been a long time since I seen a kingfisher.

photowannabe said...

Delightful shot. I am so enjoying all of your wildlife photos. The world is so full of interesting things.

Tom said...

Great Shot Salty... and well captured

Andree said...

wow. That is just perfect! So they do grow accustomed to you to some extent? I'm going to try and do that next time I have the opportunity. The feathers are gorgeous. The curve of the wings is fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Great action shot!