Monday, June 02, 2008

Understated Beauty: Gray Catbird



The subtle tones of the Gray Catbird require one to look closely to appreciate its beauty. An inhabitant of brushy areas, these bird make themselves at home in the shrubbery around our home. Often its soft mewing call is the first indication of its presence.

As my wife and I sat quietly in a small brushy area behind our home, this catbird busied itself hunting caterpillars. I was hoping that it was targeting our over-abundant gypsy moth, but as you can see in this capture it has found some type of green caterpillar,

7 comments:

Tom said...

What a beauty.. I think this is my first sight of one of these so I will be going to read up on them.. I like the lichen on this tree as well.. Stunning picture.
I have enjoyed catching up with your blog Salty... it is always a pleasure to drop by.. your pictures are some of the best I come across and I am so pleased we got to visiting each other.

Tom

Kerri Farley said...

A beautiful bird! I have seen these guys around here for the first time this year...I'm sure they were here all along...I just never noticed.

Great shot!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful shot, Salty. I have them here from time to time but none this year. I think they are special and worth feeding but you got to have them first. LOL

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: Very nice picture of the Gray Catbird. I would not of known it's identity.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

One of your best bird images Dad. That's a "Calendar Shot".

DeeMom said...

What a brilliant capture...

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Salty! I have these guys around my home. They are so endearing. I just love them. This is a great picture. Lisa