Sunday, August 10, 2008

Viewing the Haines-Seville



Our good blogger friend Abe Lincoln asked to see the Haines-Seville Wetland in all of her glory.


The sign inviting the public denotes the local, state and federal agencies involved in this wetlands restoration project.






Pictured here is the visitors’ center; a pavilion built overlooking the man-made swamp. A few years ago this entire area was just another overgrown creek-bottom field.





To photograph or view the wildlife that inhabits the wetland requires one to walk a dike that surrounds the swamp and set up as unobtrusively as possible. The wildlife here is wild and in no way habituated to human presence. Camouflage, slow cautious movements, and patience are the order of the day when shooting the critters who call the Haines-Seville home. This photo was taken from the vantage point I utilized during the early part of my Saturday morning shoot.

This week is shaping up to be a very busy one for me; work, business travel, and our local Fulton County Fair. I’ll be posting whenever I have the opportunity as there are more photographs from the Haines-Seville to share with you.



5 comments:

photowannabe said...

This is an amazing area set aside for the wetlands. I think I could spend hours there with the camera.

Louise said...

This looks like a pretty and nice place to get some pictures. But I'm guessing there are mosquitos, which would make the "slow, cautious movements" and patient waiting troublesome at times.

Anonymous said...

This is really nice. It seems to have all those things it needs to have to support all sorts of wild things. Thanks for showing it to me. I do, so much, appreciate it.

Abe Lincoln

Shelley said...

I would love to go walking thru these wetlands with my camera and binnoculars!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: Certainly a wonderful plce to shoot. I never thought of using camo while taking photos. I will have to rethink my shirt colors.