Friday, March 06, 2009

BNWR Great Blue Heron


The Great Blue Heron is one of my favorite wetland wildlife photo subjects.

With their large size one does not need to get extremely close to capture and acceptable image. Perhaps the old saying “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” applies to this bird but I do find them to be quite handsome birds capable of striking extremely elegant poses. Another point in the GBH’s favor is that many of these birds are not overly wild and can be approached to within acceptable photo range.

I captured this close-up backlighted image during my February morning visit to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. As we were slowly driving along Wildlife Drive I noticed this bird standing in the shallows just to the side of the road. The heron never moved a muscle as I stopped the car only a few yards distance and took a series of shots hand-held from the car window.



13 comments:

dot said...

You sure have some nice pictures here. I love the cardinal and the deer especially.

Shelley said...

Fabulous and beautiful!! Looks like he had his eye on something...

Leedra said...

You summed them up quite well. Nice capture too!

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Unknown said...

We have them down in south Florida. It's our wading bird with the biggest range. Florida's egrets and spoonbills don't make it out of the state.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Most obliging of him I would say to stand still for you although they can spend a long time as still as a statue. I love watching the herons fishing.

Kim said...

Wonderful photo of the heron. That is my nemesis bird because it never behaves long enough for me to get a decent photo!

Brad Myers said...

I have to agree Coy, this is a fantastic bird to watch and photogrpah. It may also be one of my favorites. The Pennsylvania ones don't like people as much and really keep there distance, all my good shots come from Maryland and Florida.

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful shot. I managed to get some nice "reflection" photos of a GBH when we were in Reno 2 years ago. They are pretty neat birds.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Marvellous. Again a bird I long to see and not a chance.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: That shot far exceeds anything I could get. They are my favorite large bird. I like the trailing head feathers.

Gretchen said...

Never got a shot of one of these that's as nice! Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

I too like watching the Great Blue Heron. They are quite the patient bird. Thanks Salty for your nice comments on Natural Moments. I look forward to seeing through your eyes and lens in your future posts.

Meggie said...

There are quite a few GBH along the lake where I walk in the morning. They, too, have become quite accustomed to humans. My walking buddy comments all the time about how different they can look depending on their pose.