Monday, September 07, 2009

Heron Triple Take


I spent quite a bit of time on the water this Labor Day weekend with only a few images to show for it. I encountered a few wood ducks but they were much to wild to get into camera range. I did see an osprey a couple of times but like the ducks it kept its distance.

This Great Blue Heron did allow me to approach quite closely with the boat a number of times giving me a few opportunities for flight shots.


I usually prefer to display my wildlife images in color but for a change I gave this one the B&W treatment in Photoshop by applying a gradient map adjustment layer, a trick my son Chad learned at a Scott Kelby seminar recently.

Selective color version retaining the color of the heron’s eye



12 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I would not be able to pick a favorite.Both B&W and color are equally lovely.
Blessings,Ruth

Montanagirl said...

I like both color schemes. I'll have to try that sometime!

myonlyphoto said...

Wow this is nice close up of the heron in action. The black and white treatment is something different and nice. Thanks for sharing. First time here, and I have to say you have beautiful images. Anna :)

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Very cool, Dad. I'm glad that you not only did a B&W, but you added some "selective color" too.

It might look even better with a tad more contrast, maybe 3 or 4 in the positive range on the slider?

photowannabe said...

Terrific flight pictures. I can't pick a favorite either. I do love the subtle selective color on the herons eye.
Thanks for your comment on my last post. You gave me a laugh on your missed shot.

Peggy said...

Awesome flight close up! Not an easy feat!

Thanks for coming by my blog! Glad you found me, so that I found you! Love your photos and commentary!

Chris said...

Hi Coy,
Wow fantastic shots! I love the last one with the colored eye, but they are all fantastic!

Leedra said...

Think I like the first one the best.

Willard said...

Excellent shots!

FAB said...

Nice bit of artistic licence Coy.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: Great shots in flight, those are so hard to get.

imac said...

Really nice shots Coy, well captured and work.