Monday, November 02, 2009

Hit & Miss: White-throated Sparrow

Photographing wildlife is always a hit or miss situation. Lighting or lack thereof plays a huge part as well as the often uncooperative nature of the subjects.

With the little White-throated Sparrow flitting about the nearby underbrush while the sun was hiding behind a heavy cloud cover I simply could not pass up the opportunity. Shooting at ISO250 I was well aware that many shots would be failures for like most songbirds these little critters do not sit still for long.


This shot was the best of the session with the bird sharp and well posed


Failures typically get the delete button treatment but for a change I though I would share a couple of cool ones with you. This was the last shot I captured as this sparrow departed the briars.

I call this shot the ball-head, another failure but my wife thought it was pretty cool



9 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

It's nice to see some pictures which would have gone into the trash.These are cool,just goes to show that a picture doesn't have to be in focus to be of interest.Thanks
Blessings,Ruth

photowannabe said...

I like them too. The abstract quality makes them interesting. Always fun to see what you are posting.

Elaine said...

All three are good photos. Sometimes the ones that are "failures" are the most interesting.

Montanagirl said...

Yes, all three are good. The last two sure have a different "look" about them. Nice work.

Leedra said...

I thought the last one was a shaking ... you know the other end. Glad you clarified it was the head. LOL!

Chris said...

Hi Coy,
Well let say you got a good shot with the first one, but I have to say that the two last ones are also fantastic... I love the effect on them and found them very funny, especially the second one!!! This is just excellent!

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos of the White Throat Sparrow.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: Glad that you get these also, they are nice for my what is it guessing.

Ivar Østtun said...

It is hard to get a good photo of these small birds, they are always moving and moving very quickly.

The last shot is cool, your wife is right :-)