Sunday, March 28, 2010

Friday’s Wetland Visit

With heavy brooding skies Friday morning I delayed my planned visit to a local wetland until mid day after the skies had cleared. Although mid day is not a good time to observe wildlife and certainly is not good lighting for wildlife photography any chance to spend time in the outdoors is better than staying home.



Poking around the wetlands I discovered a goose resting beside a feather lined nest. A moment after I noticed the goose it took off across the wetland honking loudly. Clicking away at the rapidly departing goose I could only think that I was glad that I was not beneath her




A pair of American Coots was also present. The Coot is a species not commonly seen in our locale. I remember seeing one as a teenager on the creek that borders our family farm making this only my second observation of this species in our area. Checking the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds I found that virtually the entire US is included as either winter or summer range of the American Coot with the exception of a small strip up the Appalachian mountains, the tip of which covers my home turf.


During this visit I observed quite a bit of frog/toad spawn attached to the submerged vegetation around to water's edge. It appeared that this food source was what was attracting the waterfowl's attention.

Also observed on this visit was seven Ring-necked ducks, two pair of Hooded Mergansers, one male Mallard, and one Osprey.

5 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Nice photos! We see the Coots here. They're rather unique looking.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Pretty cool capture.Jake and I just got in from an afternoon of hawk watching and many photos.I maintain that a bad day of birding is better than a good day at work. :)
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

These are both nice pictures, Coy. I like the taking off photo a lot and I have never knowingly seen a coot. I also like the new blog template. I am using it on all of my blogs now.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Coot, what a fun name of a very cool bird. I am glad that you were not underneath that Canada Goose either...oh my~

Peggy said...

Since you mentioned it, I wondered about that yellow-tinted water! Not a place to be! Great shot!