Monday, May 24, 2010

Pollen

On a windless morning the lake was covered with a layer of pollen.  With grasses, trees, and wild flowers in bloom pollen is everywhere but nothing I have found demonstrates the magnitude of it better than the calm waters of a lake. Crossing the lake, the boat left a trail of clear waters through the scum covered water.   As the day progressed a light wind from the east pushed the pollen to the western shoreline.

As can be seen here the pollen gathered around any obstruction.

An even closer view






5 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That is amazing.I feel sorry for those who suffer from allergies due to the pollen.
Blessings,Ruth

Montanagirl said...

Glad I don't have many allergies! That's a LOT of pollen. Love your Header photo.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I've never seen pollen on water like that. Great shots.

photowannabe said...

This makes me sneeze just looking at the pictures. Its a good documentation Salty.

Christy said...

I feel silly because it never occured to me before that the scum on top of the water was for an accumulation of pollen. Doesn't gross me out quite so much now. It is amazing to think how much truly is floating in the air unseen to the human eye. Glad that my allergies are rather minimal in the scheme of things.

Great photos of this and of the ducks that you have posted recently. I'm still playing the catch up game from being without internet for six months and moving to a new home as well. Still trying to find a daily routine that works for most days.