Thursday, November 24, 2011

Double-takes: Fawn Siblings

 Fawns are frequently left alone by their mothers during the rut.  The bond between the siblings is strong and becomes more obvious with mother temporarily out of the picture.  This pair of fawns was browsing along a brushy stream bank when they caught sight of me.  Their pose was more than I could have hoped for
.

This pair of fawns had just finished a short nursing session.  A moment after the doe walked away both began grooming in nearly identical poses.  Grooming, a common everyday occurrence, but to have a pair of button bucks lined up like this; Priceless!

Siblings standing together along the edge of a frosty meadow.  I couldn't have posed them any better for a mirror-image shot if I had been able to position them myself.

All bucks are interesting and big bucks are thrilling, but it is the fawns that have the ability to really tug at your heartstrings.

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so beautiful! the in-tandem grooming shot is impressive! :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Wonderful pictures. No,you couldn't have posed them any better.

Brad Myers said...

Great photos and post coy. You are right about the fawns, I always compare it to watching playful puppies. I did have to chuckle at this post, I think you know mine are always uploaded in advance. Last evening while it was quiet here at work I loaded one with summer fawns for Monday. It is amazing how many times that happens on the few wildlife blogs.

I hope you and you family had a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Modesto Viegas said...

Great series! The first one is excellent!

Montanagirl said...

Terrific series! Love the "grooming" poses.