Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Downy Woodpecker

Downy woodpeckers, the smallest of our woodpecker, are very common across North America and are feeder favorites.  However this adult male was not visiting a feeder when I captured this series of images.

I was (unsuccessfully)attempting to photograph a yellow-shafted flicker feeding on grubs in a long ago abandoned lawn when the little downy landed nearby.  Although not scared enough to fly away he persisted in keeping me under keen observation.

Remaining curious throughout the encounter he stretches to his fullest height for a better view

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful captures! I can't seem to photograph one to save my life! LOL

Dawn Fine said...

Lovely captures!

Elaine said...

Lovely shots! There's nothing like being in the right place at the right time. I occasionally see a Downy at my feeders and have had a Hairy female visiting quite regularly this winter.

Brian King said...

Wonderful shots, Coy! We have a pair of Downy's that visit our feeders.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful photos of the downy, Coy. They visit our feeders often and I NEVER tire of them!

Chris said...

A superb encounter and the first picture, although all of them are beautiful, is my favorite. Is that your smallest species of woodpecker?

Montanagirl said...

Great shots of the Downy. I enjoy having them in my yard.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

The first image is my favorite and the last one is my second fave. So cute.