Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Odds & Ends

Not having neither the time or the energy to put much thought into a post, I decided instead to share some unrelated photos.

I was a little surprised to see Great Blue Herons building nest during my early March visit to Middle Creek.  The rookery was too far away from the road to allow great shots and getting any closer was unlawful so I had to be satisfied with what was available.  Shooting with the 600mm lens I could see from viewing the camera LCD that the shots were soft.  Resorting to manual focus and using live view at 10x zoom the resulting images were sharper.

These mallards may look no different than your friendly everyday park ducks but they fully understand the dangers that humans present.  The nearest hen has already spotted me and at the first click of the shutter they exploded into the air. 

This crow seems to understand that I mean it no harm but gaging from the intent stare it isn't entirely trusting either.

5 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Nice shots! Love that Crow with one eye on you.

Linda said...

Nice captures! Crows are intelligent birds...but it is nice that, even though he was somewhat cautious, he was partially trusting.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I really like the Heron shot.Seeing these large birds in a tree is just so strange looking.

Elaine said...

A trio of lovely shots!

Chris said...

The two alst ones are wonderful Coy. Pure beauty in the composition and sharpness. Fantastic.