Thursday, September 03, 2015

A Visit with a Waterthrush

I identified this bird in the title as a waterthrush.  This much I know is accurate however I am unsure as to whether the bird pictured here is a Louisiana Waterthrush or a Northern Waterthrush.  After studying the bird's markings I am leaning towards the Louisiana however anyone's input would be much appreciated.  I read on one site that the song was the best way to differentiate between the species but alas the hearing loss I suffer denies me that means of identification. 

I remember well my first encounter with a waterthrush.  A few years ago my wife and I were visiting with my niece Amy and her husband on early spring day.  After lunch it was suggested that we go to a public natural area near their home that was quite popular with wildflower enthusiast.  As we were hiking along the trail Amy began looking intently at a nearby stream and soon spotted the Louisiana Waterthrush.  Its singing had alerted her to its presence.

A couple weeks ago while crossing the creek that borders our farm, I began spotting a waterthrush frequently.  One evening last week I decided to make an attempt to photograph the bird and was pleased to find it seeming cared little about my presence as it hopped about the rocks bobbing its butt and flipping leaves in search of prey.  I enjoyed the time spent with this member of the warbler family and hope that you enjoy the images I came away with as well.  






3 comments:

Woody Meristem said...

It's probably a Louisiana water-thrush, they have a white line above the eye while the northern water-thrush has a buff colored line. The ground color of the breast on the two birds tend toward the same color as the stripe above the eye.

Montanagirl said...

No help on the I.D., but he's a real beauty!!

Elaine said...

Delightful photos!