Friday, September 30, 2016

Elk County 2016, a short visit

The elk rut in northern Pennsylvania is one of the greatest wildlife shows that the Keystone State has to offer.  Whereas most wildlife activity goes largely unnoticed, Pennsylvania's elk are easily seen and are not particularly wary of humans.  While this has been the case with practically all of the elk I have encountered in different parts of the elk range it is particularly true in the Winslow Hill/Benezette area.  This area has become a popular tourist attraction for those wanting to experience elk and the elk rut in particular.  Having only a short time to photograph the elk rut this year I focused my attention on this area.  The following are a few images from my two mornings and one evening of photographing these awe inspiring animals.








3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice series of photos Coy. I was hoping you would have been thee when I was but you came to town after I left. Nice shot of the bull crossing the creek. I managed to get a couple spikes in the water. I really like the pose of the first shot and second photo with two calves laying down really show how big a full grown bull is. Too much or too little can be done post-processing photos like these. You did a great job. The light and colors are exactly as I remember them.

Coy Hill said...

Thanks Dan I appreciate the comment coming from a first class photographer. I'm sorry I missed you however I didn't have much time and the weather didn't really cooperate once I did make it up.

Woody Meristem said...

Very nice photos. Winslow Hill has become so crowded with cell phone photographers and other tourists that I now find it extremely unpleasant to go there. I'll be looking for other good areas with fewer people next time I go to the elk range.