Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Meadow Grounds Falls Revisited

Today I once again visited the Meadow Grounds Falls. I featured this falls in my October 6th post with a photograph I had taken about thirty years ago, today I returned for the first time since that day. My mission today was to photograph the falls digitally.

Access to the falls requires a hike taking about one and one half hours. The path is adequate for persons in reasonably fit conditions. Some sections are somewhat treacherous and one must exercise due caution. The stream must be waded numerous times.
I arrived at the largest falls before the sun had found its way into the narrow gorge. Our temperature was hovering around the freezing point and when the sun did arrive it was most welcome.

The gorge is strewn with large boulders. In this photo the first rays of sunlight peek over a boulder. I can only think that it would not be good to be here when one of these decides to fall from the mountain side.


A veil of water plummets from the west side on the falls.




A flat rock, nearly as perfect as a precast concrete slab, sits at the top.





The Meadow Grounds Falls in all of her glory!


4 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Good ones. I especially like the shutter speed on the last image. I like how you were capturing a very similar image to the one you took many years ago.

photowannabe said...

Gorgeous photos. That's a long time between shots...Its amazing to see the power in the water. The falls must have been deftening.

Bill said...

Water shots can be a lot of fun to play with. Nice shots.

Unknown said...

Oh wow. Thanks for taking that long dangerous trek to get the photos. They are fantastic!