Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Bulls in the Fog


The heavy fog lent a surreal quality to the morning. This morning was my first time encountering rutting bulls up-close. Although the fog limited our visibility it also proved to be an asset by providing a beautiful soft-focus background for some of the shots.

As I stated in my previous post, this is a hunted herd. The killing of these animals is a highly controversial subject with diametrically opposed groups having little common ground. The Pa Game Commission considers it essential to hunt this herd to control its numbers. Also the hunt is the only direct source of income the commission derives from the herd. At the same time elk viewing is an important tourist resource bringing much needed tourism dollars to the local economy. The coming years will prove to be a balancing act between the various stakeholders.

As for me, the camera is the only way I have any desire to hunt these Majestic Animals

8 comments:

Catherine said...

OH! He is Majestic...Beautiful shot!!

Cat

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Very nice two shots to get this series going.

Lucy said...

This is just lovely, Salty.

Kerri Farley said...

These guys are absolutely beautiful. Great shots!

photowannabe said...

This shot looks like an oil painting. I would print this on canvas and hang it.
I'm so glad that this is the only way you will shoot the magnificent creature.

Tom said...

I agree with you entirely on these elf, camera win hands down over the gun for me too. It is a big shame that the only money to had is got by hunting these beautlful creatures. Long my they survive.

Gretchen said...

What a beautiful shot! Thank you for sharing it.

Kekiinani said...

This is just awesome.. oh and beautiful. :) :)