Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Old Farmer Ingenuity

Old Farmers can be very resourceful. I am frequently impressed with what they will repair or improvise with materials commonly found lying about the farm


With us more modern types duct tape and WD-40 are at the top of the list but for a farmer; baler twine has no equal. Here our 87 year old farmer has fashioned a latch for his wire gate. Although it will not last long, it did not cost him a penny.



Our farmer uses old galvanized roofing and baler twine in this photo in an attempt to keep his cattle from escaping where the road bank has eroded along the fence line.


Here he has used rusty galvanized roofing to cover an attic window. His repair does keep the weather out but it does nothing to enhance the appearance of his home.


When viewing farms we cannot judge the wealth of their owners by their appearance. Some keep very neat tidy farms while having very little wealth aside from their real-estate. Other farms are run down with makeshift repairs while their owner refuses to spend a dime of his considerable wealth.

2 comments:

photowannabe said...

Sometimes I am so ready to use the "store bought" thing that I don't use my head and try to find an alternative.
You asked how I find time for the blogging and commenting...its really my theraphy after an exhausting day. I think its almost like a daily fix for me.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Good post.