Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sinker Casting…A Hot Deal

Various projects help pass the time throughout the dreary days of winter. One such project involved casting a supply of sinkers for the upcoming fishing season. Considering the price of sinkers the cost of a mold can be quickly recouped in just one casting session.



In this photo the metal is being melted in preparation for casting


During the entire casting process one must exercise due care to avoid the hazards involved. Make certain to provide good ventilation for lead vapors are toxic. The metal must be completely dry before being placed in the melting pot for any moisture will instantly vaporize creating an explosion of molten metal. Eye protection and heavy gloves must be worn to protect from spatter and heat. By implementing these few precautions casting can be accomplished safely and enjoyably.





The metal solidifies almost instantly upon being poured into the mold. As this photo depicts, I drop the sinkers on a piece of heavy cardboard to cushion their fall for they are still soft as they come from the mold.

4 comments:

ASHE said...

This post reminds of watching you make bullets when I was little. I think I only saw it once or twice, but it certainly left an impression on me!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

It's amazing all the things that you seem to provide for yourself.

photowannabe said...

This is so interesting. Your explaination and pictures really are an education.

Anonymous said...

I made sinkers once or twice. Then I went somewhere and they had a sale on them in all sizes. That was almost 50 years ago and I still have most of them. I must admit that I would go after hook, line and sinker if caught somewhere. Why? I didn't want to jeopardize fish or fowl with line and hook. I have also rescued birds wound up like a mummy in some idiot's nylon fishing like.

Thanks for the visit to my blog. I appreciate it when I see you are there as your comments are nice to read. Thank you.

Brookville Daily Photo