Friday, September 07, 2007

C&O Canal


The C&O Canal was conceived to be an affordable artery of transportation between the Chesapeake Bay and Ohio. Construction began in the 1830’s with the canal opening to barge traffic in 1850. Goods were moved by barges pulled by mule teams. The canal spans 184 miles and roughly follows the Potomac River. Seventy five locks were built to raise and lower the barges.

In retrospect the canal’s builders and investors had overlooked one very important competitor, a competitor who would keep the C&O from becoming the profitable investment they intended it to be, a competitor who would along with the rampaging Potomac River eventually become it's downfall, the B&O railroad.

Today the C&O is a
National Historic Park. The tow path that mules once trod is now a hiking and biking path. Remnants of the canal are still visible.


I captured this image from inside of lock 47.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this shot Salty. I would really like to visit this park one of these days. I did get to visit the Erie Canal area in Western New York. It was fascinating.

photowannabe said...

Love this shot Salty and the history of it. Its hard to imagine ,in our day of fast everything, mules pulling barges along the canal bank.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the visit to my blog. I appreciate it.

Here, near me, at Vandalia, Ohio, there are leftovers from the canal days near the Stillwater River but the locks are upset or destroyed. The tow path is still visible. Been a while since I was there.

Nice photography. Especially like yesterday's leopard frog and today's pic.

Tom said...

Thanks for the history about the canal, I have done a post resently about a canal side path and its history. I always find these posts informative. Your picture is a stunner as well.

Lori said...

I love places like this. Reminds me of one of my favorite places to be.