Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Crested Caracara


One morning while shooting Joe Overstreet a couple approached me. The lady asked if I had seen the Caracara then she told me that one had been hanging around the dumpster near the boat ramp. Not having ever seen a Caracara let alone photographed one I headed for the ramp shortly after our conversation ended.

Locating the bird proved easy enough as it was sitting on a post under a palm tree. Capturing an acceptable photograph was not quite as easy. The bird was sitting in the shade with the bright lake behind. Between bracketing and some Photoshop manipulation I arrived at this image.

7 comments:

photowannabe said...

Never heard of this bird. Is fish on his diet? It looks like a very large wing span. Well I guess if its hanging around a dumpster its eats many things like a gull does.

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool having a neighborhood bird network to alert you to fun birds to photograph.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I don't know this one at all Coy. Is it one of the raptors? Looks like a beautiful bird. How lucky to get a shot of it.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: Not a bird I know and I'm glad you were able to capture him.

Craig Glenn said...

Very interesting bird. I had to look him up! I live in florida and have never seen one or heared of them. I can't wait to capture one of my own and learn more about it. The say they are rarely seen around where people are so perhaps I will find one on a biking trail...? One can only hope.

Nice shot and opportunity!
Craig

Ken Conger Photography said...

Really have enjoyed this Overstreet series. You have captured the elusive Caracara that I have been trying to get for years. I went to Joe Overstreet and Viera in December in hopes of seeing one. Kudos Coy. Blue Skies.

Ivar Østtun said...

Great job Salty. I have never heard of Caracara until now. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.