Friday, July 10, 2009

Another First: Red Fox


Recently I was surprised by Red Fox hunting in the meadow behind my home.

I was on the deck when I noticed the fox walking along the edge of the high grass. Believing that the fox would not allow me to retrieve the camera, I observed it hunting for a couple of minutes before slipping inside.

Incredibly the fox stayed in the meadow hunting while I went to the basement grabbing the camera and changing the lens. Upon returning to the deck the fox remained long enough for me to capture a few shots including this leaping shot before disappearing into the high grass.

Although foxes do exist in good numbers in my area seeing one during daylight hours is a rarity, to be able to photograph one, even rarer.

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

A fantastic shot.These animals are not that easy to capture.You did a fine job.Guess it helps to be in the right place at the right time.:)
Blessings,Ruth

Cindy said...

Lucky you and great catch. I'm glad it stayed long enough for you to get some photos.

Elaine said...

Beautiful shot! A few days ago I was looking out the window and saw a fox going through my yard, but I wasn't as lucky as you. He disappeared before I could even get my feet in motion, let alone grab my camera.

Montanagirl said...

Great shot of the Fox! I'm just back after 10 days being gone, and was checking your blog. The wedding photos are stunning! What a wonderful job you did. Loved the Buck testing the breeze too. You are very talented. I'm glad to be back home and am looking forward to checking out all the blogs I'm following!

Tom said...

Well caught... Our Red foxes can now be seen in town and city's... since the hunting of foxes with hounds was banned, there seems to have been a boost in overall numbers.. more and more are moving fron the countryside and finding life easier in town and city's... thank to the amount of rubbish we humans leave on the streets. All our small towns have 'take away' food stores.. the discarded foods is soon found by foxes.
I think this might be a male with the black socks.. it certainly is a beauty.

Today my blogs show Road Names and Grandchildren Play
Have a great weekend
Tom

photowannabe said...

Outstanding capture. They are beautiful creatures.

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a smart fox! It's running very quickly. Great shot!

sam

free satellite TV