Monday, January 04, 2010

Winter Bluebirds


A few days ago during a light rain I noticed some Eastern Bluebirds sitting on a line of fence post that runs between a pasture and a hay field. Wondering what drew them there I decided to observe them for a spell.

Soon a bird left its perch and flew into an area of the hay field searching among the stubble where the snow had recently melted. Moments later it flew back to a post with something in its beak. Dropping its morsel on the top of the post he pecked at it for a few moments before swallowing it.
As I watched the birds repeatedly flew to into the field and returned. I could not get as close a look at what they were catching as I would have liked but my best guess was that they were catching slugs.


This female decided to check me out while perched on a branch nearly overhead.

The next day our weather turned cold and blustery and I haven’t seen the bluebirds since.

7 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

That first shot is breathtaking...the composition and the colors...all are just FAB!
WOW!
I LOVE Bluebirds!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I agree with Kerri,that first shot is amazing.
Blessings,Ruth

Heather said...

Love, love, love these shots!

Elaine said...

Oh, yes, that first shot is a stunner!

Chris said...

Fantastic firs shot... This bird is so beautiful and you got it so well! Well done Coy!

Montanagirl said...

Yup they are both very nice, but the first one is superb!

Brightcetera said...

I concur ... the first shot really hits the sweet spot!
Brilliant!