Sunday, August 08, 2010

Critters at the Lake




As the first warm rays of the morning sun fell across the lake I spotted a young whitetail buck feeding along the shoreline.  Moving torwards him using the quiet electric boat motor the buck allowed me to approach to withing about fifty yards before he alerted.  The warmth of the morning sun greatly enhanced the coloration of the buck's reddish summer coat.




A short time after photographing the buck I noticed a lone duck sitting well away from the shoreline.  As I moved into camera range I was able to identify it as a Pied-billed Grebe.  Although our area is listed as being in the Pied-billed Grebe's breeding range this was my first confirmed sighting at any time other than during the spring & fall migrations.

For more Critters of all Kinds
Visit our friend Misty's


8 comments:

Glen Webber (Wildlife Photography) said...

Great post. The Grebe is just beautiful.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Both pictures are super.The buck is almost glowing.
Blessings,Ruth

Montanagirl said...

Both are very nice photos. The light in the photo of the buck is wonderful. And the Grebe on the green water is very striking as well. Good work.

Dave Cawkwell said...

I'm humbled by your photography again Coy. Your picture of the buck is fantastic. Its simplicity makes it even more outstanding. Thanks again for another great post and the inspiration to keep trying with my photography.

jalynn01 said...

I love to see the buck standing there reflecting in the water. Your little Grebe has such a surprised look in his eye.. Great post.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Salty: Love that buck capture.

Misty DawnS said...

I love the reflections in both images! Isn't it awesome to experience a first sighting?!?!

Eric said...

hello coy, nice post & good blog, truly like it. i think u must try this site to increase traffic. have a nice day & keep blogging!!!