Thursday, November 18, 2010

Birds, Instead

The Whitetail Rut to date has been disappointing.  I expected to be posting many pictures of this year's crop of whitetail bucks by now but photographic opportunities have been few and far between.  I attribute much of my lack of success to this years extremely heavy acorn crop which is keeping the deer in the woodlands and surrounding mountains.  So instead of filling my files with buck photographs I find myself focusing on our feathered friends.

Observing this male Red-bellied Woodpecker has proven interesting.  Picking corn from the natural feeder he carries it each & every time to this same exact spot, deposits the kernel into the hole in the side of this snag and hammers it into edible size pieces. 

Hopefully my luck with the bucks will change but time is running out with only a little over one week yet to go before rifle deer season will close the curtains on my Pennsylvania buck photography season 2010.

11 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are lovely images,but I understand the disappointment with the bucks.
Hope you get some chances soon.
Blessings,Ruth

Lois Evensen said...

The bird images are just gorgeous. I think there could be some good titles for the first one.

Elaine said...

Too bad about the bucks, but you have gotten some lovely bird photos. Interesting that the woodpecker goes to the same spot. Sounds like a use of tools to me.

Chris said...

Well, you should not be disappointed, these pictures are wonderful, especially the first one, where the bird is so prudly showing its red colours.... Patience will maybe reward you soon and you will eventually get buck pictures ;-)

Arija said...

I found you on Elaine's blog and think your wildlife photos are amazing.

You've just got a new follower.

Michele said...

I am sorry about the bucks but your feathered friends are brilliant to say the least. I adore your photography on these fellas just the same! =)

Brad Myers said...

Your feathered freinds are fine photos and easily take the place of bucks. I know how much fun it is to observe and photograph bucks.

If you are looking for shooting the eagles are coming in pretty good at Conowingo Dam, I am running down on Sunday. and if you are up for a road trip Bombay Hook (Deleware) looks to be pretty good in November. I am looking for someone that wants to run down for a day, about 3 1/2 hours from my house.

Montanagirl said...

Wonderful shots! Just really love the Red Cardinal phtoo. The Woodpecker is pretty amazing as well. Your shots are always so sharp and clear.

Susan Ellis said...

Great shot of the Cardinal and Woodpecker..our Blue Jays also "hide" their cache crops in the trees around our yard

Meggie said...

Your feathered photos are equally as gorgeous, Coy!

Dominic Gendron said...

2 nice images, love the look of this red cardinal!