Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bird ID Help Needed

While photographing a flock of Killdeer bathing in the shallow water along the lake shore I happened to notice a much smaller bird feeding nearby.  Before I could swing to camera the mystery bird flushed along with the killdeer.  Watching the flock land a couple of hundred yards away I approached them again with the boat and this time everything went my way allowing me to move into about 50 feet.

I am familiar with the spotted sandpipers and solitary sandpipers but am unsure as to the identification of this particular bird.  It appeared to be alone and spent the morning hanging out with the killdeer.  I would estimate the bird to be about 6" long.

In trying to identify my mystery bird the closest match I have came up with is the Semipalmated Sandpiper.  If any of you can give a positive identification I will certainly appreciate it.


10 comments:

Peg said...

http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=74

I live in Atlantic Canada and went twice this year to see the sandpipers at their migratory stops on Shepody Bay. I took some pics of them in flight, but we aren't allowed to go close to them, and my lens didn't allow for closeups. But check out sandpipers +Dorchester or Mary's Point and you can get an idea of the beauty of their ballet.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sorry I am of no help here,but I do know that the pictures are gorgeous.I love those reflections.

Montanagirl said...

Your photos are so beautiful with the reflections. But I don't know what kind of bird it is...

Lois Evensen said...

I am not one to identify birds, but I certainly do enjoy those images. Fantastic.

Matt M said...

I think maybe it is a Little Stint. But I may be wrong, I dont know birds all that well.

Elaine said...

I'm no help on ID'ing this fellow, but I love the refelction shots.

Peggy said...

I think you are right Coy. I first thought it was a Sanderling, but your size description fits the semi-palm. Nice find!

Arija said...

Whoever he is, your photos are so superbly clear they are a joy to see.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Excellent and very nice photos.

Regards!

Misty DawnS said...

LOVE the reflection in these... especially the first photo! Awesome!