Monday, September 24, 2012

Goldfinches in the Garden

The Goldfinches are swarming to the sunflowers as the seeds ripen

 Immature birds are changing to adult plumage and adults are molting making it difficult to separate the immature from the adults.

This male perched on an okra plant exhibits the early stage of the molt.  Soon he will be sporting his new winter plumage which is little different than the female.  Just one week ago all of the males I observed were brilliant but during this mornings shoot all were molting with some more progressed than others.

5 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Sometimes it's just a bad feather (hair) day. Great images of the molting changes.

Ruth Hiebert said...

They sure look scruffy during moot. Out here they have all changed into their winter coats,even though it is still very nice weather.

Sharon M said...

Great shots! I love the goldfinches, but I don't see as many as I used to. Ironic since it is our state bird.

Anonymous said...

I love these little birds. It's so much fun to watch the youngsters at this time of year.

Montanagirl said...

Hi Coy. Nice photos. I just noticed you had titled your September 21 post "The Battle of the Titans".... I really didn't mean to copy you with my "Clash of the Titans" title, I had just forgotten you called it that.