Friday, November 16, 2012

A Golden Surprise: Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle
 
Minutes after setting up to await the afternoon and evening whitetail rutting activity, the calling of crows drew my attention to my left.  Looking that way I spotted a large bird soaring above; a Golden Eagle!

Golden Eagle sightings in my neck of the woods are quite rare and up until just a few years ago I had never seen one.  Since that first sighting Willard and I have become accustomed to the occasional sighting of a golden from mid-autumn through early winter as the big raptors pass through on their southward migration.

Crows harassing a Golden Eagle
 
While any golden sighting is a surprise this one did not come as a complete surprise.  After the sun had set Wednesday evening, as the light was failing and Willard and I were packing up the photo gear, I heard a rush of wings overhead.  Looking up I spotted a very large bird swooping low, quickly disappearing behind the nearby tree line.   In the poor light I was unable to make a positive identification.  There was no doubt that it was an eagle and I was pretty sure that it was a golden and not an immature bald eagle.  Thursday afternoon’s sighting confirmed my suspicions. 

 


5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

a most beautiful bird.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Amazing pictures. The last one looks like some sort of formation flyby.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Congratulations on the sighting and for capturing it by camera.

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful birds, those Goldens. We've seen a few here as well.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful bird!