Monday, April 08, 2013

Lifer: Long-tailed Duck

Long-tailed Duck
 
While I have observed Long-tailed Ducks on the Chesapeake Bay a surprise encounter with this male sporting his winter plumage on the Meadow Grounds Lake was my very first time with one in front of the camera.


The duck was hanging out alone in about 8 feet of water.  He would allow me to approach to within about 30 yards before evading the boat by diving.  I quickly learned that the duration of each dive was approximately 30 seconds.


 
How fitting that as the water drains away from my favorite little mountain lake that I was able to capture another "lifer" photograph before the lake is gone.

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

really great!

Ruth Hiebert said...

That's a great capture.

Elaine said...

A very pretty duck and one I've never seen, although they appear to migrate through Interior Alaska. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Montanagirl said...

Very pretty duck. I have never seen one of these. (til now)