Wednesday, August 07, 2013

A Versitile Lens

A Trusting Cottontail
 
While I would never argue that for the very sharpest images that nothing can compare with the expensive prime lenses there are times when a smaller, less expensive option will fill the bill quite nicely.
 
Day Lilly
 
Since using the larger primes virtually requires a tripod, they are not suitable to carry during excursions where something other than photography is the main purpose.
 
 
A Cumulonimbus cloud rises in the eastern sky at sundown
 
It is for those times outdoors when photography is secondary that I strap the camera around my neck with the versatile 100-400 F5.6 IS USM attached.  With it I am ready for incidental close encounters with wildlife, flower shots, and in some cases even scenic shots.
 
The photos posted here were all made during my evening walks where exercise is the primary purpose with photography being secondary.  These shots were made with a Canon 6D and the handy little 100-400. 

9 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Very, very nice. They are lovely shots and that's what counts, doesn't it....

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful shots. I beg to differ about that lens being 'little'.It doesn't feel all that little to me after carrying it around most of the day. LOL
It is a good lens and the one I use most often.

Elaine said...

Three lovely shots! The shot of the rabbit is wonderful! I've got to agree with Ruth about that lens not being "little." The biggest lens I have is 70-300 and my camera is the smaller Rebel XT. Arthritis in my hands and various other joints makes that all I can handle. I do like having a lens that is versatile, and when you're out for a walk that's what you need, because you never know what will pop up.

Our photos said...

Beautiful photos!

Montanagirl said...

Lovely shots, but that last photo steals the whole show! It's fabulous. Just too beautiful for words.

Coy Hill said...

Ruth & Elaine,

I apologize for calling the 100-400 a little lens. However with its push-pull design it is relatively short when zoomed out to 100mm and after humping the 600mm and tripod around on most of my photo excursions the 100-400 feels like a featherweight. Thanks all for your comments!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots!

Willard said...

Everything is relative to a certain extent with these lens except really big and heavy to the point of being difficult to carry is beyond doubt truly big.

When we look at the "big" prime lenses, if you are coming from the 70-200mm or the 100-400mm, a 300mm f2.8 seems huge, but then if you are used to using a 500mm F4, the 300mm seems nice and compact. By the same token, if you are used to the 500mm f4 and handle a 600mm f4-the 600mm f4 seems like a monster, but then when you go back to the 500mm, it seems so portable by comparison and of course a 70-200mm or 100-400m is really big in comparison to lenses like the 17-40mm, 28-135mm, etc.

I like the performance of the big glass but it is really nice at times to leave it home and just carry something that is really portable.

Lindsjö taxar said...

Lovely Pictures, the last one is fantastic