Friday, November 09, 2007

Sky High on Skyline Drive


Today Willard and I traveled to Big Meadows in the Shenandoah National Park.

Leaving home at 3:00am we were greeted by light rain just south of Winchester Va. followed by light snow as we ascended the mountain on RT 231. Fortunately with the temperature near the freezing point there was no significant accumulation on the roadway. As we traveled through the darkness our anticipation for the morning shoot grew stronger as the weather was proving perfect for spurring whitetail rutting activity into high gear.

Not only did we capture some outstanding images of Whitetail bucks but a female Northern Harrier and a Barred Owl made their appearance to make this a truly memorable morning. Another treat that I am unable to share with you was listening to the Coyotes howling while photographing the Owl at daybreak.

Check back daily for more images from this trip and from my “Week in Penn’s Woods”



Ps. Chad, this shot’s for you!

7 comments:

photowannabe said...

Spectacular. I love the way the deer blends into the woods. This must have been such a special week for you and your brother. looking forward to all the pictures.

Kekiinani said...

How cute. He appears to be peeking out at you trying to blend in with the trees and ground. Amazing you found him!!! Can't wait to see the other photos!! :) :)

Tom said...

Cheers Salty, you have managed to paint a great picture in my mind of how it must have looked, never mind sounded. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I like how he's peeking around there.

ASHE said...

I talked to your cohort a little today, cannot wait to see the rest of the pics. And I'm very glad you went along, since Dad said he didn't really get much in the way of pics!

Kerri Farley said...

Wow.... very neat shot! Love the way he's looking at your from around the tree.

dot said...

I love your pictures and will certainly be back to see more.