Saturday, October 03, 2015

Immature Black-crowned Night Heron

While visiting Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge I was busy photographing various water birds along a small tidal creek when I noticed subdued movement in an overhanging tree.  Watching closely I was soon able to make out the shape of a bird that blended superbly with its surroundings, an immature Black-crowned Night Heron.  Sitting quietly and watching intently, I picked out more of these well camouflaged birds as the morning wore on.  While these birds are known feed alone from dusk to dawn and roost in flocks during the day.  I consider myself fortunate to have found myself in a spot where these well hidden birds had chosen to spend their day. 
 
 
 





3 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Amazing shots. I really like all the detail in the wing patterns.

Coy Hill said...

Thanks Ruth! And I hope you are doing well with your recovery.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Image four is my favorite, he's so camo. Nice!