Thursday, March 04, 2010

Conowingo Eagle: More Poses

Another of my favorite shots from our Conowingo Eagle Excursion it this one of the eagle looking down into the river below. I expect that it was hoping to see an injured fish floating past as it had been a number of hours since it had fed. The dappling of sunlight filtering through the trees, the open shadows containing good detail of the bird’s body set against a blue sky combined with the bird’s intent concentration made this image particularly appealing to me.

I found the intent piercing stare captured in this photograph appealing

The Conowingo eagle experience is quite different from what I am accustomed to. In my home area bald eagles are very shy of humans. Upon approach eagles here will fly away while still out of reach of even the longest of lenses. At Conowingo the hydroelectric generating dam creates an eagle smorgasbord during power generation and the birds have become acclimated to human presence along the shoreline. The situation at Conowingo presents the wildlife photographer with easy access to rare close-up eagle photo opportunities .

As our visit was late in the season, only a few eagles were present but the few that were there gave me the best eagle photos presently in my collection.


During this visit I concentrated upon the eagles and made the mistake of shooting very few frames of the scenes around me, just one more reason to go back!




8 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

With cooperative Eagles like that,I would wonder what was wrong if you didn't go back.This must have been a treat to get such excellent photos of these magnificent birds.
Blessings,Ruth

Elaine said...

This has been an absolutely splendid series on the eagle. What a wonderful opportunity you had to be able to observe and photograph the eagle over such a long period of time.

Chris said...

Well the reason to go back for me will really be the eagle! These pictures are simply awesome Coy! Great post and great pictures. Well done!

Montanagirl said...

Wonderful! We have the same problem here with the Eagles being so wary of humans. They fly way before we can even get remotely close.

FAB said...

Coy. I can see why these are your favourites. Excellent shots depicting its intense concentration. Well done. FAB.

photowannabe said...

So spectacular. I'm taken by the majesty of the Eagle.

Les Barr said...

As always, Coy, your Images of the Conowingo Eagles are very nice. One of these day's I'm going to take another trip down there. Maybe this time, I can do better, now that the snow and ice is starting to melt away.

About said...

A location I would like to photograph sometime. Spoiled with the eagle opportunities in AK just haven't made the trip up north. You got some nice shots here. Blue Skies.